The #1 reply to being a foster parent is the fear of being able to "give them back". I get it, it's a scary concept. How are you supposed to pour yourself into these kiddos and at the drop of a hat just stop? Well, I'm going through this now and would like to give you an inside look. Here it is:
I miss the hell out of her. She has been in my dreams every. single. night. Most nights, I wake Paul up because my dreams are tricking me into thinking we've left her somewhere. I adore the family members that she's with, and without a doubt, it's where she is supposed to be, but it's not here. I went through hell and back with that little lady and then all of the sudden it was just over. I can't just turn it off. I committed to loving her like my own and I do. But she's not my own. She is someone else's little girl. It hurts. A lot.
But here's the thing. When Paul and I were going through our training, Paul said something that has stuck with me for the last few years. When asked why he was choosing to become a foster parent, he said, "I'll take the heat so they don't have to be in the fire." And, you know, that's it. I can manage being overwhelmed, exhausted, and heartbroken. They can't. These kids have had to simply survive. I will gladly take some of their load, whether for 5 days or two years, so they can know what it feels like to be loved and protected. That is worth every ounce of hurt I feel.
So, next time the idea of foster parenting comes up, before you talk about your fear of not being able to "give them back", take a moment to consider that you are being offered the gift of standing in the gap, sheltering them from the storm, and showing them an unconditional love and protection that they may have never felt. You will have the honor of escorting them in their darkest hour so they can finally learn that dark doesn't mean scary.
As much as I miss my little lady, I stand with great pride at what my, now hurting, heart provided for her. This, I know and believe.

No comments:
Post a Comment