"I need you to tell me that I can do hard things. I keep telling her that she can, I need someone to tell me that I can, too."
These were the words I cried to my mom on Tuesday morning as I drove back to the hospital. I had slept for 2 hours that night after spending 12 hours in the emergency room holding the frail body of a little one who had been severely neglected. We had only met 72 hours earlier and somehow she was supposed to trust me to walk her through one of the lowest moments of her little life. The responsibility was overwhelming. The stakes high. I had never seen this stuff anywhere but on TV, yet there I sat, rocking my sweet girl back and forth, trying to calm both of our nervous systems for what was to come. Then, it was time, one Reece's Piece at a time, we made it through each test, picture, x-ray, and lab. It was awful. I will never forget it. I pray that she does. But she did it. Bravely, she did really hard things.
Over the next two days, with the support her first foster mom and God send, Miss
Tricia
, I met with every doctor, therapist, dietitian, investigator, and social worker on her floor. I listened, I argued, and I advocated for my girl. She had been silenced and needed her voice back. This girl, my girl, was going to get the best. She would know that she was safe, protected, and loved. We blew a million bubbles, made hundreds of playdoh figures, ate too many french fries, and negotiated every temperature, blood pressure, and oxygen level. One minute at a time, one reece piece at a time, we made it through the days. We finally went home. We did it. Together, we did really hard things. Today, I woke up to her joyful giggle as she played with the kids. She was safe. She was happy. When her tiny, frail body slowly came down the stairs, she sweetly yet proudly said, "Good Morning, Mom! I love you! I like being home." Not quite yet, baby girl. I have to do a really hard thing.
This afternoon, I packed up her things and brought her to her final destination. Family that will love, care, and protect her. I gave them every detail, every tip, and every phone number. I gave her a kiss, told her that I loved her, and that I was so proud of her. I said goodbye. Hiding my tears with my sunglasses, I smiled, waved, and drove away. As confidently as I could, I did a really hard thing.
Now, the hard things are done and it is time to rest. Unfortunately, another will come and there will be more mountains to conquer. But that's okay, I'm ready, I know I can do hard things...
"Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish. Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human." -HENRI NOUWEN
No comments:
Post a Comment