I feel like I just ran a marathon. Yesterday, all of our family and friends gathered around as we crossed the finish line. I don't know if I will ever be able to explain the relief of breaking through the tape and being free from the race yet having such overwhelming gratitude for the process and the support that was felt along the way.
Most people don't know but there was a time, just last year, that things had gotten so hard that we thought it was not in Nick's best interest to be in our family. As a mother, I was prepared to hand over my son if there was another mom and dad who could better meet his needs. I was reluctantly "helping" social workers prepare his profile for the AdoptUsKids webpage because I was going to make sure it was right. It was, hands down, the worst time of my life. It literally shredding me, my marriage, and my family. I was so angry, so devastated, and so hopeless. It was horrific. For four months, I begged God, 'Lord, whatever your Will is, give me peace'. I knew, no matter how this ended, He would make all things new.
In January of this year, it became clear. We are Nicholas's mom and dad. The kids are his brother and sisters. We, together with the friends who have supported us, are his family. We may not be perfect and we may not be able to meet all of his needs on our own accord, but we have a village and we are willing to ask for help and learn.
Yesterday, as we waited for the judge, I watched Nicholas bask in the glory of an entire court room of people whom he loves. Every single person in that room holds a very specific and special part in his heart and his story. You could see the joy radiating from him. He was safe. He was loved. He belonged.
So, when Judge Moore signed that paper and Nicholas jumped into his arms, the overwhelming feelings were relief, that we weathered the storm, and gratitude, for all of those around us who loved and supported us along the way.

No comments:
Post a Comment