Thursday, February 28, 2019

To the Moon and Back


 Dear Paul, Catherine, Claire, Mary-Grace, and Margaret,

One year ago today was not a special day. In fact, it was a typical day with school, Miss Dana, and general life. None of us knew that the next day would change in a way that we would never be the same.
Kiddos, when dad and I signed up to be foster parents, you were signed up, too. We tried our best to explain everything and prepare you for what was to come, but honestly, we didn't even know. But you trusted us. You believed in what we wanted to do, especially once Claire realized that she wasn't going to be the foster kid moving to the new home. 🤦‍♀️
And then the next day happened and our family changed. It was not a smooth transition. It hurt a lot. For a long time.
Guys, you have been the most courageous, compassionate, and perseverant kids I've ever met. You have laughed, cried, and experienced joy and pain that most adults will never experience. You had the courage to speak up when it was too much, took great joy in his victories, and recognized the tragedy in his struggle. But most importantly, at your young age, you believed in our purpose as a foster family; that kids should be with their family. There were several times that we had to console you as you tried to understand how kids could be separated from their mom or when we had to discuss the possibility that he would never go home. You were crushed at even the possibility for him and his mom. I will never forget that discussion, we told you that we weren't sure what was going to happen but if it came about that reunification wasn't possible, what did you think about adoption. All of you spoke up quickly and without hesitation, "I don't want him to leave, but I want him to be with his mom. I want him to go where it's best for him". We were blown away. You were wanting to sacrifice for the greater good of your brother and his mother, if that was possible.
Paul, Catherine, Claire, Mary-Grace, and Margaret, daddy and I are so proud of you. When I look back one year, my initial reaction is slightly miss what was, but quickly thereafter, I am overwhelmed with the pride and joy of what is and I wouldn't trade this year for anything. Thank you for trusting us and for believing in your purpose as a foster sibling. Thank you for teaching me more than you can imagine. But thank you the most for choosing to love our little man with everything you have even though it often didn't look or feel like what you knew love to be. What you chose is a self sacrificing, compassionate, humbling, and joyful love. That kind of love, real love, takes incredible courage.
I love you to the moon and back.
-Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment