Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Duval Family Update April 2010

***Be forewarned that this e-mail is long and there are no cliff-notes available...***

Well, the time has come and we are packing up to head back to the States on Sunday.  Paul will be staying here in Italy until the beginning of August when he will join us in VA (hopefully) to start our civilian life.

It is crazy to think that our time here in Italy is already drawing to a close.  It seems like it was just a couple of months ago when I was writing my wedding program explaining that we had taken orders to Naples, Italy.  I had no idea that it would pass by so quickly. 

It is so bittersweet to leave here as we are excitedly going back to our family and friends but yet we are leaving such a WONDERFUL family and life over here.  It is unlike anything most would understand but when you live so far from anything that is comfortable, you learn to make those around you family.  You find this totally comfortable mix of the uncomfortable and make it fit like a glove.  While it will be fun to spend holidays with our families, I will miss having our friends over and experiencing their versions of normal. 

Looking back on the last few years, its amazing to see how our family has grown.  Not only have we grown in size with the wonderful additions of Paul and Catherine, but we have also grown in maturity, experience, and love.  I know, it sounds cheesy, but its true.  Paul and I talk often about how wonderful this experience has been for our marriage.  We have been given this once in a lifetime opportunity to spend exclusive family time to figure out what works for us, what we want to include from our own families, and how to work things out when we are in a bind...all without being able to call our moms or dads and ask to be saved.  It really has been awesome.  God surely knew what he was doing when these orders were put in our path and our hearts were softened to the idea of moving across the world...keep in mind we CHOSE these orders. 

Lastly, I want to tell you about the most precious gift I have been given in the last 3 years of living in Italy: my brother!  I probably would have NEVER had the opportunity to get to know Eddie like this ever again.  Eddie left for West Point and then the seminary when I was 11 years old.  Although we exchanged letters and semi-regularly planned phone calls over the years, it was generally a "Hi Ed, this is whats going on in my life, hows everything going with you, great to talk to you, love you, bye".  Deep, huh?  Moving here, newly married, and pregnant with our first child, I approached the situation a little hesitant as to what this relationship would hold.  Once all of the apprehension of being with my "seminarian brother" wore off, I got to know Eddie, the man and my brother.  He has became more to me than just "the brother who is studying to become a Catholic Priest".  He is WAY more than that and I am so proud of who he is and what he has spent the last several years preparing himself for!  I am thankful for the opportunity I have had to get to know him! Even more, I am forever thankful for the bond that he has formed with my family, especially my sweet little boy who thinks that his Uncle, in all of his horsey knee-riding glory, is one cool dude! 

So, there it is.  My final "Duval Family Update" from Italy.  I will continue to keep you all updated with our family and all of the upcoming changes.  Before I close this e-mail I will let you in on the latest upcoming change for the Duval family, come mid-December, Catherine will become a big sister!  Yup, thats right, we're having another baby!  God has already begun to get us excited about our life back in the States...he really works in miraculous ways.

We can't wait to see you all in the land of Wendy's and TJMaxx!  Please pray for a safe (and morning sickness free) flight on Sunday for the kids and me. 

Love,
Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment